What is it?
This is a Bluetooth LE (low energy) and ANT wireless transmitter for Shimano Di2 groupsets.
What is it for?
It allows wireless connections from a smart phone, tablet, cycling computer or Shimano's handlbar display.
Once connected, the EW-WU111 module transmits Di2 battery battery charge level, current gear selection front and back, gears configuration and it allows firmware updates to the EW-WU111 itself and the Di2 components wirelessly from a phone or tablet.
The smart phone or tablet will need to have the Shimano e-tube app installed (see links at the bottom of this review). With the app, it is also possible to customize the way the Di2 groupset shifts to your preferences.
• compact, light (5 grams!), weather sealed, very easy to install and use
• provides battery and gear selection data + allows firmware updates and shifting preferences changes and configuration, all wirelessly. See screenshots below.
• the module (EW-WU111), an additional (Shimano EW-SD50) wire, 150 mm pictured and a compatible battery (BT-DN110 currently) or external battery mount (BM-DN100) are all necessary for this to work.
• use the Shimano DI2 TL-EW02 e-tube wiring tool to avoid damage and make everything go smoothly
• We installed it in line with the battery port, providing some much needed extra length to the original cable used for power. You may install it inline with any of the cables going to the junction box.
If you are going to unplug your cables, it is strongly recommended that you label them as pictured so you don't have to wonder which cable plugs where.
• Works fine inside the carbon fiber tube, though the manual instructs to install it on the outside of the frame.
Metal frames will hinder the radio signals.
• Superb software and technological Shimano expertise and integration.
Very clever design and top performance with an App to match.
The App should support low battery level and firmware updates Push Notifications though.
Are you reading this Shimano?
The App checked, found and updated the EW-WU111 firmware during the initial set-up without an issue.
The firmware for all components had already been updated via the e-tube Windows software in the past but you can check on that in the App.
• to pair the module initially and later to connect to it, press the junction box button and the red and green lights will blink alternatively.
The default passkey is 000000.
The app is well designed and prompts you to customize the passkey with your own 6 digits code to prevent anyone else running the e-tube app from connecting to it
• The Wahoo ELEMT showing current Di2 gear selection:
Thank you for letting us know in the comments if you have any question(s) and/ or suggestions.
Please note this useful info and links.
38mm x 25mm x 12.5mm
Operate on 2.4GHz (2,402 – 2,480 MHz)
Shimano internal part number: Y71L98010
Shimano dealer part number: IEWWU111A
Shimano Di2 EW-WU111 owner's manual:
Current compatibility chart (Ver. 3.3.0 Aug 16 2017):
Shimano's press release touting wireless use of Di2 and mentioning components back in 2016:
Shimano e-tube project software product page with Windows and iOS/ Android download links:
Shimano e-tube project Windows software user manual:
iOS E-TUBE Project app - version 3.3.0 as of this writing
Anrdoid E-TUBE Project app - version 3.3.0 as of this writing